Sunday, April 16, 2006

Something to fall back on

The job market down here is awesome for service sector jobs. Everywhere you look there are signs offering at least $10 an hour for restaurants and stores. I saw a Starbucks that was offering full benefits for working 20 hours a week. I just wish there were enough people to take advantage of it.

Lots of places close around 7pm here. This is very difficult to adjust to. Some stores haven't even reopened yet because they don't have enough workers to justify opening the doors. Some big chain stores are open but only a portion of the building is available. The news coverage of Katrina has died down nationally but rest assured that the people here are still living with the consequences of it. I know it's inconsequential in comparison to the tragedy that took place immediately afterwards but it's just really odd to have places you expect to be open 24/7 close down.

I don't think I've gone a day without someone mentioning the storm to me. It's the number one topic of conversation for obvious reasons. I feel really awkward since I wasn't here before then. They always try to compare it to Ivan but you really can't. The main problem here was water not wind. Everyone talks about how devestating the flooding was. It's not surprising then that local news is wall to wall Katrina aftermath coverage even seven months later.

I don't know if things will ever be back to normal here but I hope for an uneventful hurricane season this year so things will get as close to that as possible.

Anyway, the original point of this post is that I have a new appreciation for the folks who work at the restaurants and shops. If my boss decides I'm not needed anymore I may try my hand at making frappuccino's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home