Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sammy's Steak and Lobster

It's Sunday again so that means it's time for another installment of our NOLA restaurant guide. This week it was Sammy's Steak and Lobster. Our review of this establishment can be summed up in one word:




HORRIBLE






I should start out by saying that the original plan was to go to the Steak Pit. It's located on Bourbon street. We just figured we check out a Steak House in the FQ and that's the first place I ran across when searching on the internet.

So we turn onto Bourbon off of Canal and the fun began. First off it was insanely hot - yet again. So we're walking down the street and the most foul stench we've come across in a long time hits us. We should have turned around then but we're dumb and we kept on walking. The smell died off after about 6 blocks and we finally get to the Steak Pit. I don't even know if it's open now. All I know is that it had a tiny little storefront with bars on the door. We have a pretty firm policy of not visiting restaurants that look like crack houses so we passed by and stopped at Sammy's less than a block away.

Sammy's has a nice open outdoor seating area so we checked it out.

The food was average at best. After looking at the menu I just decided to have a burger and Aubie got some chicken dish. The burger was basically a warmed over frozen patty. Eh, it was alright.

Two complaints really. First we tried the "world famous" hurricane.



WORST DRINK EVAR!!!







Disgusting. I can hear you now. "But Bama I love hurricanes." That may be true but you don't love this garbage. It's really watered down. They just pour it out of a container. What's the point of having the bar there?



Second complaint. The bill. It was really hot so I asked for a couple of refills on my coke. That's not a problem in any other restaurant in America but in this one I wasn't ordering a refill but instead a brand new $3.00 coke. When we got the bill I told the guy at the bar that there must be some mistake because we got charged for like 5 cokes. He just looked at me nonchalantly and said "we don't give free refills." It would have been nice to have been told this when we asked for them!!!

Not only do they charge for the drinks but they also include the tip as well. At least I think it's the tip. It said "server charge." We did the math and figured out that we probably would have tipped more but that's not the point. I don't care what dump we eat in we make a firm policy of not taking it out on the waitress. I guess I can see the reasoning for including it in the bill. There must be people in that area who would stiff them all the time. Still this is really annoying.


So we got a large bill for average food surrounded by a disgusting smell. As an added plus I started feeling sick almost as soon as I walked out the door.



I caught myself humming "Bad Day" all the way home.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yall gotta quit eating in those crappy tourists dumps. next time ask some locals you know before you go out

5:44 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

If you have any recommendations we would welcome them.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Mr. Clio said...

It's really refreshing to read a down-to-earth review of a lousy place. You never see that in the traditional publications. Thanks!

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First never eat on Bourbon st unless its the Royal Sonesta bar called Desire and only for oysters,and the turtle soup & drinks. Now if its 2 am and you are drunk, then that pizza or the st vendors hog dogs are heaven. Now, as for dinner, Magazine st has a lot of the best rest in Nolas a short cab from the quarter its like 7-8 bucks. Try (all on Magazine st.) Bochons, Mahoneys po boys,casamentos, sucree (for desserts& coffee.In the quarter, Bayonas, Herbsaint (on the warehouse dist)August, and read & do your homework. too many tourist traps to mention..

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home