Saturday, June 17, 2006

Rock-n-sake


Aubie's got a plane to catch tomorrow morning so your Sunday restaurant review comes in one day early. Today's choice was Rock-n-sake.

I talked to a guy at work yesterday and he suggested this place since it was so close to our apartment. He said it was great and it isn't like any other sushi place. I'm glad he told me about it because I've never been down Fulton street. There are a couple of other places on that street that I think we might check out. It's really convenient - only a 5 minute walk.

We went for that reason and because Aubie's been nagging me to go to a Japanese restaurant for, oh, I don't know, 8 years now. I've only eaten it one time and that was in the student dining hall in college. It was horrible. Definitely nothing to write home about (well I guess it was now - HI MOM). I imagine that wasn't top shelf sushi so I guess it was time to try again.


So anyway, on to rock-n-sake. It was OK. I was really ready to title my post "rock-n-sucky" but I can't and that's a shame. It looks like a popular spot for dates. It's definitely a "hip" place for young folks. There were a lot of good looking people dressed to the nines. Luckily there were a few like us who walked in off the street wearing shorts and T-shirts.

It's really dark and they have popular music playing in the background. Plus they have drawings of naked ladies on the wall. Overall it seemed like a "classy" type of joint. The waitress was awesome. She gave me coke refills and didn't charge me!

As for the sushi, I'm still not a fan. Twenty one year old Bama wouldn't be caught dead in the place but now I've grown up. I tried one of everything and didn't make faces or anything. If you don't know what raw fish tastes like let me tell you. Nothing. It didn't really have a taste at all. The only flavor I got was from the wasabi I dipped it in. That's not really a bad thing. Let's just say I don't hate it and I don't love it. I think people who like sushi would love the place. Haters would probably continue hating since you have to eat raw fish and all.

They actually had some cooked stuff. Aubie got some of that and it was pretty good. Quick tip for you guys. If you get stuck at a sushi bar, order the teriyaki.

The fun part was, of course, the chopsticks. I took to them like a duck to water, or something like that. I spent most of the time picking up stuff and moving it around. I was even picking up pieces of rice like a good young grasshopper.


I don't know sushi from a hole in the ground so I got what amounts to a combo platter. I have no idea what it's called. It was California roll, sashimi and something that starts with an n but I can't remember.







Here's some video of me showing off my chopstick SKILLZ.




Yeah, I know it's hard to see. I went through the trouble of uploading it though so I'm keeping it.

Oh, I almost forgot! It wouldn't be a restaurant review without....


Try the Sake Cider. Good stuff.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love to eat sushi while listening to Shakira and Wyclef -- it's the only way to roll.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Sushi isn't supposed to taste like anything. That's how you can tell it's fresh. (Except for a few challenging things, like Mackeral).
What you go for are the textures. Yellowtail is butter soft. Tuna is firmer. Then, you rate the sushi chef on his combinations of things. You can tell an excellent chef by the egg, or omelette sushi. It should be fluffy light, and just a touch of sweetness. Experience will tell you. I've been eating sushi for about 26 years now, ever since Shogun opened on Veteran's Highway!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't been there since the SAINTS started their season then you shoukd go back Chef Dirk has come up with some awesome rolls and the bartenders such as Eddie and Chris are coming up with some amazing drinks behind the bar on a Friday night.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Lacey in the Sky said...

I love Rock-n-Sake! I was once one of those people who would order temura vegetables at sushi joints with my friends, but this place changed my ordering habits. If you do decide to go back, i recommend the Hawaii 5-0. Not tons of raw fish, and so yummy! & The sake margarita is great too! I'm jealous of the location of your home! I think the warehouse district is so cool:)Just far enough away from the madness, but close enough to enjoy it when you want to.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home