Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Palace & Bon Ton Cafes

Last week, I had dinner at the Palace Cafe on Canal Street. It is one of the many restaurants managed by Dickie Brennan’s family. Even though the Palace was pretty busy for a Wednesday night, the service was great. They brought out a free shrimp cooked deep fried in wontons for each of us to try. I ordered the Palace Potato Pie (Pork layered with spinach, mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese). It was recommended to me by one of my co-workers. It was good. The Palace also had a lot of seafood items on the menu. Our table shared two orders of Crème Brulee for dessert. They also had white chocolate bread pudding on the menu. I was eyeing it but went with the majority. I’ll definitely have to take Bama there, so we can try it.

On Thursday of last week, I had lunch at the Bon Ton Cafe on Magazine Street. It is expensive ($18+ for entrees) for lunch but definitely worth the extra cost. It was probably the best meal that I have had in New Orleans. I had crawfish etouffee. I also tried a bite of the crabmeat au gratin. Both were phenomenal. I thought about ordering the au gratin, but since I wasn’t paying & I had to order first, I did not want to order one of the more expensive items on the menu. It worked out since someone else at my table ordered it & let me try it. It was a very busy place for lunch. At one point, there were 15+ people waiting in the bar area. (Who has time to wait to be seated at lunch? Can I have their job?) Anyway, I looked over there about 10 minutes later & they were all seated.

Overall, I would recommend both places. Good food but for a price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home